No products in the cart.
When you suffer a cold or fever, first medicine will be a dry ginger coffee. Dry ginger is a significant and vital ingredient in preparing Kashayam as well as a common ingredient in most of the Ayurvedic medicines, because of its digestive properties and hence the literal translation of this saying, “chukkillatha kashayamilla” would be that there is no decoction without chukku /dry ginger. If you are a Malayali women, it’s shame ,not knowing how make a chukku Kappi. So along with learning chinese and continental cooking recipes spend some time learning the real village tastes.
- Dry ginger powder-1 teaspoon
- Coffee powder-1 teaspoon
- Black pepper corn- 1/2 teaspoon
- Tulsi leaves (Holy basil) -5 or 6
- Panam Chakkara (karupatti) or Jaggery-1 tablespoon
- Water-2 cups
- Guava leaves-3 or 4
- Cumin seeds-1/2 teaspoon
- Cardamon– 2 crushed
How to Prepare Dry Ginger Coffee?
- Switch on the stove and place a saucepan on the stove.
- Heat water and jaggery pieces together in the sauce pan.
- When it starts melting, add the powdered dry ginger, black pepper (crushed), cardamom (crushed) and cumin seeds.
- When boiling, add coffee powder and let it continue to boil for a minute.
- At this stage, add tulsi leaves and guava leaves and turn off the flame and close the pan with lid.
- Keep it for 5 minutes and strain the coffee and pour it to a coffee mug.
Benefits of Chukku kappi
- Dry ginger has powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
- During winter it will keep you warm throughout the day and will prevent you from cold and flu.
- Relieve gastrointestinal distress.
- Effective in eliminating gas in the intestines as well as act to help in the relaxation of the tract.
Herbal Coffee for Refreshment
When there was time ,doctors were not easily available for consultations ,elder people at home will suggest emergency medicines for ordinary diseases like cold, flu, cough or fever. So chukku kappi and other beverages were known to everybody at that time. Now the ingredients for dry ginger coffee is available in market. Even some companies started selling coffee powder as ‘chukku Kappi’ powder. Buy dried ginger is sweating task for urban people ,since it’s availability is very less in cities. Online marketplaces are the main depending places for city people to buy dried ginger or other kerala spices online. Enjoy reading a new book of your dearest author ,sipping hot chukku coffee, then no fever will stay with you more than couple of hours. And that is the Mallu medicine for sudden fever.