No products in the cart.
Every morning there is a war outbreak in the Kitchen ,How to make a new dish for the tiffen which is tasty as well as easy to make ? .Then the idea of ‘Chammanthi Podi’ comes to the mind of Kitchen Captains. Brilliant lady captains prepare the roasted coconut powder when they get free time or weekends in a larger volume and keep it up in good storage boxes for make it available on every day. Just like pickles serve the easy combination for fast prepared midday meals, roasted coconut powder add spicy flavour to the meal with fragrance and chilly taste. Let’s look how to make ‘Kerala Special Chammanthi podi’.
- Grated Coconut
- Shallots /Small Red Onions /Kunjulli /Cheriya Ulli (crushed)
- Coriander Seeds
- Cumin Seeds
- Dried Red Chillies or Red Chilli Powder according to your spice level
- Black Pepper Powder
- Tamarind in small lemon sized ball
- Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
How to prepare ‘Chammanthi Podi’ ?
- Heat a non stick kadai or pan.
- Dry roast the all ingredients except tamarind and salt, over slow-medium heat.
- Fry until the coconut gets a deep brown, keep on stirring constantly; so that it is evenly roasted. It takes about 30-45 minutes.
- Once browned, if you are using red chilli powder, then add it now and roast for couple of minutes and remove from heat and let it cool.
- Grind it into a coarse powder together with tamarind and salt in coffee grinder or food processor or blender.
- After cooling for an hour or two store the chammanthi podi in an airtight container or glass bottle.
- Serve with Rice, Kanji /Rice Gruel or mix with a tsp of coconut oil /cooking oil and serve as a side for Idli, Dosa or with anything as you wish.
Benefits of using Chammanthi Podi
- Chammanthi podi can be used as the side dish for any items like idli, dosa,upma or even with meals.
- If we kept the roasted coconut powder in airtight jars we can use for a long period without any bacterial infection.
- We need less ingredients and minimum time time to make the dish. We can serve unexpected guests to our home with a good dish which almost everyone like to taste.
- Coconut, is a complete food rich in calories, vitamins, and minerals like copper, calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium and zinc. It is a good source of Potassium and B-complex vitamins such as folates, riboflavin, niacin, thiamine and pyridoxine.
- One important saturated fatty acid in the coconut is lauric acid (1:12 carbon fatty acid) which increases good-HDL cholesterol levels in the blood so it has beneficial effects on the coronary arteries by preventing vessel blockage (atherosclerosis).
Cook or Buy your Favorite side Dish
As we have seen the ingredients, preparations and benefits of roasted coconut powder, try your luck in cooking the favorite dish with buying the necessary ingredients. If you miss good old grandmas at home to prepare those dishes ,have a try at online products now available in the market. Buy spices online have become the hobby of house wives as they can order anything from their smartphones while doing cooking when a shortage of item is noticed.
Even house makers who are spending free time can also do business by making Roasted coconut powder and sell online on nearby online marketplaces to earn more money for personal expenses. If you have an interest to cook good demanding dishes ,marketplaces offer you a great opportunity to sell and earn money for time investing in kitchens. Let’s surprise your husband with an aromatic roasted coconut powder made by your hands on the next dinner. Take his feedback, if he appreciate it sincerely then you can sell it on market place with your brand name. Go ahead with taste and grab money .